Thursday, January 22, 2009

traci french : artists who blog

Traci French of Bliss and her new shop blissful images has a special place in my blogging heart. She was one of the first bloggers to discover my blog back in April, and give me positive comments on my posts. I think when anyone starts a blog, you have to wonder "is anyone actually reading/looking at this stuff". Traci not only inspires with her own lovely blog and photographs, she is also a great encourager. I am delighted to share with you her interview and a selection of her new work today.



from December 5th, 2008:

Why did you decide to start a blog?

I started my blog way back in March. Actually it seems like I have had it for so much longer...anyway, I had been a lurker and admirer for so long and had a serious shopping addiction. I found blogging to be the perfect way to curb this...sharing beautiful things with others is almost as rewarding as getting that package in the mail.



How did you come up with the name of your blog?

Right around the same time I started my blog I had seen a little quote written somewhere: "follow your bliss"...such simple words, but so life changing for me. "bliss" seemed like the perfect name. Honestly as silly as it sounds, I really still adore that word. That tiny little word has changed my life.



How has blogging affected your work as an artist?

This is tough one...it has effected it in so many ways that I am not quite sure I can put it into words...blogging has unlocked something inside of me. Submerging myself in the beautiful and amazing things in the blog world has inspired me in ways I could have never imagined. My photography is an example of this...everything in my life had started to line up, this combined with blogging, combined with the beautiful area I live in has resulted in what I see behind my lens.

Through blogging I started to share my photos with the amazing, talented, kind and encouraging folks...without blogging, I am not sure I would take the pictures I do today and I know I would not have shared them with anyone besides my family...this is basically a very long way of saying that blogging has effected everything I do as an artist (still getting used to this title).



What are your favorite artist/design blogs? Why?

Melissa loves/Creature Comforts- these blogs are pure eyecandy. I love everything these two pick out and they always display it in a way that makes me smile.

sfgirlbybay - she is like that effortlessly cool friend. she always seems to pick out things that I hadn't thought of but wish I would have and can't believe I had gone as long as I had without them.

As far as artist blogs go there is absolutely no way I could ever pick a few...I am inspired everyday and am in constant awe of the talent that I am lucky enough to surround myself with. the most wonderful feeling of overwhelming in the world.



Why do you think blogs have now become so popular with artists and designers?

I think for the same reasons I mentioned above...it is the perfect way to share your work with the world. A world that is inspiring and supportive. Feedback is everything.



Do you have any advice for artists/designers who are starting a blog?

I did it backwards...I started my blog and started to share beautiful things that other folks were creating with the world and then slowly introduced my own stuff...I had a bit of an audience before I started. I think the main thing is visit and comment on other people's art. Through this you build and audience, make wonderful creative friends, get feedback, and create an amazing network.



What has been the most positive and inspirational aspect of having a blog for you?

The friends I have met. I have friends all over the world. I may not have met most of them, but I honestly consider them my friends. These friends make my days more beautiful...literally and figuratively.

Thanks Traci!

No comments:

Post a Comment