Saturday, January 31, 2009

helen dardik : artists who blog



Helen's website: www.oneluckyhelen.com
Helen's blog: www.orangeyoulucky.blogspot.com

Why did you decide to start a blog?

There are a few good reasons that led me to blog land. The main ones are: self promotion, easy archiving, instant gratification (reader comments) and virtual human contact. I work alone (out of my home office) and for most part, there's no one to turn to and say -" Look!" Blogging really fills that hole.



How did you come up with the name of your blog?

I love orange and... I need a constant reminder of how lucky I am... and Oh, that funny first generation Macintosh computer joke always cracked me up: knock knock... who's there... orange... orange who... orange you glad you bought a Macintosh? ha ha! Very juvenile... but I like it.



How has blogging affected your work as an artist/designer?

Somedays it pushes me. 'Get up and do something creative!' it tells me. It keeps me in creative shape. A blog is like a demanding garden. You must water it regularly, weed and nourish. It will grow. It will bring fruits and flowers.



What are your favorite artist/designer blogs? Why?

Heather Moore - I love her aesthetic, her sense of color and pretty much her everything.
Print and Pattern - Bowie has always got something new and interesting to show:)
Jenn Ski - She's an endless source of information, a talented designer and a vintage diva.

I'm also crazy about - Grain Edit, Matte Stephens, Whorange, and many many more:)



Why do you think blogs have now become so popular with artists and designers?

In most part, artists and designers are eccentric people. Blogs help them find like-minded people and connect. Plus, it's a sneak peak into someone else's world and a generous source of inspiration.



Do you have any advice for artists/designers who are starting a blog?

Make sure it doesn't feel like a chore! Have fun and keep it up.



What has been the most positive and inspirational aspect of having a blog for you?

All the talented people I've met. All the kind feedback I get. All the sweet comments and entertaining stories that come my way.



What do you find the most difficult/most rewarding part of having a creative profession?

The most difficult part for me is the instability of the business. You never know when the project/money is coming. It's difficult to plan out / budget ones life. However, that problem is completely overshadowed by the excitement I go through every time I get a new project or make a new pattern.



Other than your blog, what has been the most effective way for you to promote your art/design?

I have a bunch of wonderful reps in Lilla Rogers Studio, and they do a fantastic job promoting my work. Once a year I get a postcard sent out with my work, and for the last 2 years I've been to Surtex (a NYC trade show).



How do you maintain a healthy work/life balance?

I don't always 'maintain' that balance. It's a tight rope, and sometimes... well, I fall.
I like working so much... especially if the project is very interesting and I just forget about time and eating... I do get the 'guilties' all the time.... and than I go on mad make it up for everybody sprees. One thing that is helping me to get away from it all and bring back the healthy balance is the 'going out' every Friday. I do it no matter what - deadlines and all else aside.



What are your main goals for 2009?

This year I would love to:
* organize and de-clutter (to reduce stress and last minute crazies)
* sleep more.
* spend more time with my girls:)
* write and illustrate a book for my girls.
* translate some of my patterns into fabric.



Thanks Helen!

No comments:

Post a Comment