Thursday, January 22, 2009

lara cameron : artists who blog

Australian designer Lara Cameron has many talents, but her specialty is creating limited edition, hand screen printed textiles in a wide range of modern colors and patterns. She also creates lovely objects using her fabrics, including lamps and clutch purses. On her website, you can find more information about her work as a graphic and web designer and order fabrics from her shop. Lara's blog, Kirin Notebook, is a favorite of many in the art/design blog scene, where you can read more about her work processes and follow the creation of her beautiful, new studio space.



from August 8th, 2008:

Why did you decide to start a blog?

I initially started my blog to inspire myself to experiment creatively, when I was just working as a web/graphic designer. It was just a place where I could document all sorts of different things that I was trying - illustration, painting, jewellery design, gocco printing and of course pattern design :)



How did you come up with the name of your blog?


Kirin means giraffe in Japanese and I love giraffes :)



How has blogging affected your work as an artist/designer?


It has affected me immensely. Before I started my blog I had very little confidence in my own creativity, and had no idea if what I was doing would be appealing to anyone. It was very much through the encouragement of my blog readers that I began designing patterns and then eventually released my line of textiles. I would never have taken the plunge without them.



What are your favorite artist/designer blogs? Why
?

I love blogs like Design*Sponge and Print and Pattern because they're an easy way of keeping an eye on what everyone is doing. But I also love following the blogs of my fellow textile designers and other talented crafty ladies. There’s too many to list but just a few are Heather Moore (Skinny La Minx), Kristen Doran (Cheeky Beaks), Shannon Lamden (Auntie Cookie), and Bianca Van Meeuwen (Hollabee).



Why do you think blogs have now become so popular with artists and designers?

Many reasons - the fact that the design/craft blog community is so supportive and lovely, the ability to put yourself out there really easily and get valuable feedback, the wealth of inspiration that you can get from other blogs, the ability to make new friends and collaborate with artisans on the other side of the globe. The list goes on :)



Do you have any advice for artists/designers who are starting a blog?

Blog because you love it, not because you want to use it as a marketing tool. Valuable feedback and ‘linky love’ will come naturally if you love what you’re doing – it shows. I think it’s good to be really open on your blog too – sharing info on both the physical processes and the thought processes... and the emotional stuff :)



What has been the most positive and inspirational aspect of having a blog for you?

Meeting so many amazing talented people and being given so much more confidence in myself :)



Thanks very much for openly sharing your thoughts and insights with us Lara. And congratulations on that lovely workspace you've worked so hard on - see more of Lara's new studio project
here.

No comments:

Post a Comment