Thursday, January 22, 2009

jennifer causey : artists who blog

New York based photographer Jennifer Causey creates lovely still lives that inspire every morning on her simply breakfast blog. Her aesthetic method to wake up and greet each day will turn you into a breakfast lover if you aren't already. On her website, you can view her online portfolio with a wide variety of sumptuous images. Learn more about her many projects on her simply photo blog, and purchase Jennifer's photographs in her shop. Enjoy the interview, and I hope Jen's photographs will remind us all to take the time to notice the beautiful in our everyday this weekend :)



from August 14th, 2008:

Why did you decide to start a blog?

I became interested in reading other blogs and loved the idea of sharing creative inspirations with other people. At the time I started my blog, I did not see a lot of photography references out there. I am constantly looking at imagery and I wanted to share some of my favorite finds with other people.



How did you come up with the name of your blog?


I started an Etsy shop a little bit before my blog, and this was the name. My original shop name was photobird, because I love photos and I love birds. I was informed that the name had already been trademarked, so I had to change it. I strive for simplicity in my work, so the name just evolved to simply photo.

I little while later, I found myself constantly taking photos of my breakfast, so I decided to document it on a blog, called simply breakfast.



How has blogging affected your work as an artist/designer?


It has helped motivate me. I am excited to put new work out there, because I know there is someone that will see it. I can get immediate feedback, which is nice.



What are your favorite artist/designer blogs? W
hy?

There are so many, but here are a few:
Dear Ada : she has so many great discoveries. It is always a treat to see what she has found.

Grijs
: This blog has a very distinct aesthetic. The finds are very simple, but always stunning.

Scout-Holiday
: I am very inspired by fashion, and there is always something beautiful to see here.

{frolic!}: Chelsea covers a wide range of topics, all visually inspiring.

The glass doorknob
: Shari has a unique way of seeing things and I love to follow her world through her eyes.

Port2Port Press: Similar to Shari, Maria has a very unique voice. See finds inspiration in everything. It is exciting to see her business constantly growing and changing.



Why do you think blogs have now become so popular with artists and designers?

They are a great way to connect people all over the world. Sometimes as an artist, you are isolated in your studio. It is amazing to be able to connect and interact with other artists everyday. If you need advice, or just a little pick me up, there are so many people out there willing to help.


Do you have any advice for artists/designers who are starting a blog?

If you have something to share, or want a way to express yourself, a blog is a great place to do this. Do not look at it as a marketing tool, just a place to share new work {although I guess this is kind of the same thing}. Just be you and all the rest will follow.



What has been the most positive and inspirational aspect of having a blog for you?


Oh, there have been so many. I have met so many people that I would have otherwise never known. Some of them I have never met in person, but feel like they are close friends.

I was invited to be a part of Lines & Shapes, by Maria Vettese, who I met online.

I have also met 2 great artists across the country with whom I have started collaborations. Heather Smith Jones and I have started a collaboration called inspired and Nicole Gliddon {who I actually met through flickr} and I have started the before and after project. These collaborations have pushed me and helped me to think differently and grow in my own work.

I have also received commercial work from people who have seen my blog and my work on other blogs.



Thanks so much, Stephanie!

Thank you Jennifer for your thoughtful answers and beautiful work!

No comments:

Post a Comment