Thursday, January 22, 2009

jessica gonacha : artists who blog

Today's interview is with artist, illustrator, and pattern designer Jessica Gonacha, a Colorado native who is currently based in Atlanta, Georgia. Jess has an inspiring "treasuring" blog and an Etsy shop full of beautiful prints and other goodies. Her artwork is truly vibrant and uplifting. Check out what she has to say about her experiences with blogging, and have a great weekend!



from November 7th, 2008:

Why did you decide to start a blog?

When I first discovered blogs, I was instantly smitten and amazed that people were letting us peek into their lives and what inspires them, what their homes look like, etc. I wanted to do that, too! I loved the idea of connecting with people throughout the world through images and words, and a blog seemed just perfect.



How did you come up with the name of your blog?

The name of my blog actually came about after I started my blog (which is unfortunate, because now the address of my blog and the name don't match), but I was posting things that I loved and coveted like little treasures, so my blog name became "Treasuring" for all the things I treasure. One of these days maybe I'll get my own domain name so it matches the blog name!



How has blogging affected your work as an artist/designer?

Blogging has been a huge influence for me, because I have access to so many images all the time, that I can be inspired by anything and everything-- also, once I started posting more of my own work on my blog, blogging became a sort-of motivator to create new things-- it's nice to have an audience rather than creating things in solitude all the time. Solitude is good, too, but it's nice to be part of this amazing community now.



What are your favorite artist/designer blogs? Why?

Oh gosh, there are so many. I look at Print & Pattern often, because she always posts current designs and what's happening in the world of pattern, which is a big part of what I do. Some other favorites include: Kelly Loves Whales, Pikaland, My Love For You is a Stampede of Horses, Cicada Daydream, and Design For Mankind. All of these ladies inspire me to no end, have unique and positive voices on their blogs, and I check in every day with them!



Why do you think blogs have now become so popular with artists and designers?

I think artists and designers like having an instant and vast audience available to them-- it's a time like no other with the global reach of the internet. The community that has formed because of blogging is really supportive and affirming, and I think the sharing and collaborating that results from it is very inspiring to creative people.



Do you have any advice for artists/designers who are starting a blog?

Post often, and don't compare your blog to other blogs! (Especially the big ones!) lLog because you want to, not because you feel like you should. If you post things that truly inspire you, then you will inspire others as well. The right readers will find you. :)



What has been the most positive and inspirational aspect of having a blog for you?

I think it's just the connections I've made through my blog-- there are people that read my blog that I feel like I've become friends with even though I haven't met them! I love that people can find my work through my blog, too-- I've gotten show invitations and many positive comments through my blog, which is incredible to me. Also, I love knowing that I can connect with people on the other side of the world through my blog-- how else could I communicate with artists in India, France, Australia, and beyond so easily? It's amazing!



Thanks Jess for participating in my interview series and for sharing your thoughts and lovely, cheerful artwork with us today!

No comments:

Post a Comment