Thursday, January 22, 2009

lucie summers : artists who blog

UK artist Lucie Summers is one of my favorite artists who blog. I adore her beautiful collage work, and I continue to be amazed by her great eye for color, design, and original use of materials. Besides showing off Lucie's gorgeous artwork, her blu-shed blog is one of the wittiest art blogs out there. Lucie always makes me laugh, and her blog is refreshingly self-ironic. She makes you wish you could just drop by for a cup of tea! Be sure to check out her shops on Etsy and Folksy - she offers a wide variety of lovely artwork at very affordable prices.



from July 4th, 2008:

Why did you decide to start a blog?

starting a blog seemed like an obvious thing to do once i'd got a flickr account and opened an etsy shop. to me, the three things go together! :) i was also interested in recording my work...i've always been slap-dash with it, giving it away/selling it without taking photographs or having a record of it. a blog seemed like a good way of recording my work in progress and the like.




How did you come up with the name of your blog?

from where i sit at my laptop i can see into my garden. i literally sat down and looked outside at our blue shed, (blue is my favourite colour) and that was that. it's blu-shed though because my name is lu. get it? blu / lu? do you see what i did there? ;)




How has blogging affected your work as an artist/designer?

i think it's made me a little more prolific, it keeps me on the straight and narrow! between looking after two small boys and *trying* to keep up with the housework, it can be difficult to find time to work. sometimes it's overwhelming and i have a break, then go back to blogging, more refreshed.



What are your favorite artist/designer blogs? Why?

oh crikey, that's a toughie. so many to choose from! off the top of my head, susy jack's 'hey susy' blog...i met her though etsy and i've literally watched her business grow from a seedling to a fully grown big deal, she's a huge inspiration as well as a really great girl. there are three blogs i check out as soon as i turn on the computer in the morning...skinnylaminx, mrseliotbooks and kirin notebook. such a talented group of ladies. i'd rip your arm off for any of their work!



Why do you think blogs have now become so popular with artists and designers?

for me, blogging is all about connections...how else could i find out about other artists from all over the world while i drink a cup of tea, sitting in my arm chair and watch the kids at the same time? amazing. plus, i'm nosy. i love hearing about other people's lives, and looking at their living rooms!



Do you have any advice for artists/designers who are starting a blog?

i think mainly, be yourself. i decided from the beginning that blu-shed was mainly a place i wanted to talk about my work...although i do chat about my kids and a little about my life. photos for me are important...i've been on a couple of blogs that don't post photos, and i'm bored within two seconds. i'm a visual person i guess!



What has been the most positive and inspirational aspect of having a blog for you?

the connection thing again...through blu-shd i've met a loyal band of readers and amazingly creative people...and it's also led to some fantastic opportunities, such as this one ;) thanks stephanie!




Thank you Lucie and please continue with your lively blog and lovely work!

No comments:

Post a Comment