Sunday, April 26, 2009

melissa moss : artists who blog



Melissa's blog: www.melissamossart.blogspot.com
Melissa's website: www.melissamossart.com
Melissa's shop: www.melissamoss.etsy.com

Why did you decide to start a blog?

My friend Marisa Haedike convinced me that it was a great way to get more traffic to my site. I had just had my son and was feeling like I wasn’t going to be able to do much work so I wanted to have something that I could update regularly to let people know what I was up to.

But I really started blogging regularly when we moved and drove cross-country from Los Angeles to Asheville, NC. I used it as a way to let my friends and family know where we were each day and about our traveling adventures.



How has blogging affected your work as an artist/designer?

I would say only recently that it has affected my work. I am now doing daily drawings that I post on my blog and just the fact that I have announced that I’m doing this has really made me sit down every night and create something. I kind of needed that kick in the pants.



What are your favorite artist/designer blogs? Why?

I check the blogs of my good friends Marisa Haedike (Creative Thursday) and Cathy Nichols all the time because I love their work and I miss them and want to see what they’re up to. I also love Whorange, sfgirlbybay & Poppytalk.



Do you have any advice for artists/designers who are starting a blog?

The best advice is to update your blog often, daily if you can. Then people will know to go back on a regular basis. This is very difficult for me to do with a 20 month old son but I’m working on it. And now the daily drawings will help.



What has been the most positive and inspirational aspect of having a blog for you?

The comments are so great. It’s so nice to get a really sweet note from someone you’ve never met. It makes you feel like your posts aren’t just floating around in cyberspace.



What do you find the most difficult/most rewarding part of having a creative profession?

Well, this economy has been really tough. I used to have a steady 9-5 job in publishing and was never really affected by the economy. But I think the art world has really suffered.

But the most rewarding thing is that I’m not at that 9-5 job anymore and I get to paint and draw for a living and be with my son all day. You can’t beat that.



Other than your blog, what has been the most effective way for you to promote your art/design?

I think the best way is to get mentioned on other blogs. I definitely see my sales increase after a mention. Etsy has also been great. It’s better when you have new things to list often though...I’m working on that.



How do you maintain a healthy work/life balance?

The older my son gets the easier it is. The first year was pretty hard. But now he can play on his own for short periods of time. Enough for me to check emails at least.



What are your main goals for 2009?

I really want to get into a routine of painting more. It always feels so good when I’m in the middle of a painting and especially when I finish one. But starting one is so hard sometimes. And also to spend as much time with my son as possible and stilll earn a living. He’ll be in school in a few years and I want to take advantage of this precious time.

Thanks Melissa!

No comments:

Post a Comment