Thursday, April 16, 2009

jamie shelman : artists who blog



Jamie's website: www.jamieshelman.com
Jamie's blog: www.smallexpectations.blogspot.com
Jamie's shop: www.jamieshelman.etsy.com

Why did you decide to start a blog?

I decided to start a blog to promote and share my new Etsy shop- The Dancing Cat. I studied painting at the Rhode Island Scool of Design and only recently started creating my little cat illustrations! I’ve always made silly little animal drawings but never took it serious and while at RISD I painted almost entirely abstractly. My cats have become another way for me to express my emotions and reflect how I feel! Plus I have a secret love and obssession for cats, I always want to squeeze them when I ever I see one! I love sharing this through my drawings...



How did you come up with the name of your blog?

I came up with the name for my blog, Small Exepectations - of the great kind - after reading Charles Dicken’s Great Expectations and enjoying it immensely! A reminder that it’s usually the small and simple things in life that make it great!



How has blogging affected your work as an artist/designer?

Tons of inspiration to be gleaned from the blog world, I love the feedback and immediacy of what I do- being able to share something I just drew on the same day is instant gratification.



What are your favorite artist/designer blogs? Why?

I like them all! Visit my blog for my list on the right, I’m the one that ends up going through and clicking them all to check in with what everyone’s doing!



Do you have any advice for artists/designers who are starting a blog?

Time Management! It is too easy to get sucked into computer world and never escape, all your time disapperaring into a void of nothingness!– make more time for drawing, thinking, creating , less time on the computer!



What has been the most positive and inspirational aspect of having a blog for you?

I love making other people laugh and smile, if I’ve done this I’ve done everything! (I’m especially good at making myself crack up with some of the silly drawings I come up with- this is good too)



What do you find the most difficult/most rewarding part of having a creative profession?

Income and understanding from those not involved in the arts is the most difficult! I love the arts, the more I draw and create the more I love it! I also really love looking at art and observing life! Plus an arts education has really sharpened my critcal eye and visual sensitivity which transcends art and enters into all aspects of life!



Other than your blog, what has been the most effective way for you to promote your art/design?

RISD Alumni shows, blog interviews, etsy, my website, group gallery shows



How do you maintain a healthy work/life balance?

Long walks, laughter, waking up early, bike riding on a really good bike on a windless day. My husband Tom cooking dinner and always making me smile ☺



What are your main goals for 2009?

Better promotion! More drawings! Never getting too serious about anything.



Thanks Jamie.

No comments:

Post a Comment