Wednesday, December 19, 2012

12 Countries Spotlight in Holland : Nina van de Goor


Last year, I travelled to the Netherlands, visited Amsterdam, and made a day trip out to Den Bosch to meet  Nina Van de Goor, a delightfully talented Dutch mixed media artist. I took the above photo of Nina and her daughter Rosa in Nina's lovely, colorful apartment.


This is a more recent photo of Nina with a swinging Rosa made only a couple of weeks ago. Yes, Nina is now pregnant with baby number two, due to arrive this month, congratulations! Or maybe the new baby is already here? How time flies...


Nina showed me several examples of her gorgeous ceramic work, which she creates using vintage ceramic pieces and her own screen printed illustrations and designs.


We had tea and cookies while I marveled at Nina's delightful cups and tiles


sometimes personalized


sometimes whimsical


and sometimes incorporating the vintage designs with the new.


Nina also creates cheerful illustrations, posters, and cards


and even adorable children's clothes (lucky Rosa!)


Every corner of Nina's apartment is thoughtfully composed


each shelf with its own character

 

the window sills brightened by still lives



an eclectic mix of modern design and antique furniture


and me busily trying to get photos of it all.


I had the privilege of peeking into Nina's home studio


and seeing first hand the collage method of how she creates her designs


as she demonstrated her interesting work process.


We had a lively conversation throughout our interview, then we took a stroll through Nina's hometown of Den Bosch


where I admired the historic architecture


the cute boutique shops


and the peaceful atmosphere outside the local cathedral.


Nina insisted that I try the local specialty of Den Bosch, called a "Bossche bol" - a cream filled pastry shell covered with dark chocolate! It was huge, so we agreed to split one.


Rosa was not impressed, but I will admit that the Bossche bol was very decadent and delicious.


After our treat, I said goodbye to Nina and Rosa, my head still spinning with sugar, and I took the train back to Amsterdam. 

I had some time to gaze out at the vast sky and open spaces, and I was reminded of the many Dutch landscape painters of the past. I could understand why they were inspired to capture these views in paint, breathtaking in their depth.

*****

You can connect with Nina on her popular blogpinterest, and Flickr, then see more of her work in her Etsy shop

You'll also find more of Nina's artwork and many photo tours of her inspiring home on IKEA Familysfgirlbybaydecor8apartment therapy, and artists who blog. Nina was even featured on a Dutch design tv show - you can see the video here.

Thank you Nina for your time and generous hospitality in Den Bosch, and I am wishing you lots of love and joy with your growing family!

xoxo

Stephanie

No comments:

Post a Comment