Tuesday, March 20, 2012

noelle griskey : artists who blog



Our guest today is Noelle Griskey, a designer and printer now living in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania who runs her own business - Pink Bathtub Designs. Noelle previously worked for a major US newspaper and magazine as well for her family printing business. She started making her handmade prints and stationery back in 2004 with a simple block printing starter kit and a few colorful ink pads. 

I love the cheerfulness of Noelle's work and her optimistic outlook on life! She also has quite the travel bug - like me ;) Enjoy!

Noelle's blog:  pinkbathtub.blogspot.com
Noelle's website:  pinkbathtub.com
Noelle's shop:  pinkbathtub.etsy.com



Why did you decide to become an artist and could you imagine doing anything else? If so, what?

I really didn’t choose to become an artist, it happened accidently with a simple stamp making kit and a few colorful ink pads. I struggle with the word “artist” as I have very little formal training.  I have a degree in Business Administration and one quarter of art school!  My first career was in publishing and printing where I held various positions in advertising production, marketing and sales.  Now that the corporate world is a good ten years behind me, I couldn’t imagine not being in a creative based business.  I’m so much more fulfilled.


Do you still believe “do what you love and the money will come“?

I think if you are passionate, focused and truly believe in your work, the money will come. 


How has blogging/the Internet influenced your work as an artist?

The Internet has been huge for me.  Not only has it provided a means to sell my wares, but it’s also chock full of resources, inspiration and support.  I’ve connected with so many artistic people all over the world.  This has been especially valuable being that I work from home, which can feel isolating at times.  Blogging has been another channel in which to be creative and stay connected.


Please name 3 of your favorite blogs and tell us why these blogs are special. 

Geninne’s Art Blog – Not only do I admire her work and find her inspiring, but I love the glimpses into her life in Mexico. 

Cannelle et Vanille – Gorgeous pictures of food!

Print & Pattern – Full of graphic inspiration and eye candy!


What is your greatest fear and what do you do to overcome it?

Having to go back to a 9-5 corporate office job. 


Who would you like to trade places with for one day? Why?

Honestly, I have no idea.  Is that weird?


What are your secrets for managing your time wisely?

Ha, time management is not my strong suit (just ask my husband).  I have certain routines throughout the day that help keep me focused.  And I always have a to-do list!  Deadlines, such as ship dates, help too.


If you could live anywhere in the world – all expenses paid – for one year, where would that be? Why?

Australia.  I’ve never been to that part of the world and it’s always been on the travel list.  It’s also a good jumping off point to visit New Zealand and the Orient! 


How do you maintain a healthy balance between your professional and private life?

I’m pretty good about keeping the two separate even though I work from home.  I try to get my work done during typical business hours.  Of course there will be some email checking throughout the evening;)


What are your top 5 goals that you’d like to accomplish within the next 5 years?

License my work.  I got my first licensing deal this year and it was such a fantastic opportunity. 

Create a soft goods line. 

Take some art classes.

Learn how to silk screen.

Keep traveling to new places! 


What is your advice for someone who would like to turn his or her creative dreams into reality?

I say go for it, but jump in slowly and do your research.  There are so many great business resources out there for independent artists.  And most importantly, have confidence in yourself and your work!

Thank you Noelle for sharing your thoughts and with us today! Your colorful, fun block prints always makes me smile! xoxo




No comments:

Post a Comment