Saturday, August 21, 2010

susy pilgrim waters : artists who blog


Originally from England, artist/illustrator/designer Susy Pilgrim Waters now lives in Boston with her husband, two children, a dog, two cats, and two bunnies. Sounds like a fun and very full house. I hope you enjoy Susy's lovely sense of humor and her beautiful artwork today!
Why did you decide to become an artist and could you imagine doing anything else? If so, what?

I have always drawn since I could hold a pencil…I am what I do! If it was anything else, it might be my dog. She has a good life!!


Do you still believe “do what you love and the money will come“?

Sort of, you have to make compromises and be open to requests.
I do a lot of what I love and quite a lot I don’t!  I have had to be open and listen make odd compromises, maybe 80% so the client has to put their mark on the project…20% I am un-encumbered.


How has blogging and the Internet influenced your work as an artist?

It’s a bit of a wild fire with stops and starts. Being able to google and find my work in magazine pieces has been great! That’s how I got into Crate and Barrel.


Please name 3 of your favorite blogs and tell us why these blogs are special.

Angela Ligouri has an incredible eye; she is so talented and LOVELY.
Julie Baine is so mindful and careful about what she purveys…. I am a huge fan.
I really don’t have time to read many blogs…but I DO look at this one…. It’s my son Jasper'sHe is going into his 2nd year at Pratt, it’s a keyhole to him evolving…BLESS!!!

What is your greatest fear and what do you do to overcome it?

There is a lot to fear, so let it go… You just have to carry on and keep perspective. We are so tiny and so transient…I wish the world contained nicer people! MORE harmonious and KIND.


Who would you like to trade places with for one day? Why?

I’d like to be Louise Bourgeois on the day she built her abstract tall sculptures; I would like to feel what it is like to make them. I am rather partial to trading places with Michele Obama too. She is having an amazing time!


What are your secrets for managing your time wisely?

NO secrets, and I don’t always succeed. Having and MAKING deadlines. Answering emails as soon as possible.


If you could live anywhere in the world – all expenses paid – for one year, where would that be? Why?

YIKES! I have to choose between Barcelona, Copenhagen, or Amsterdam, and possibly somewhere in Estonia? Not forgetting Japan….
Where ever it would be it would be to explore my creative process and grow my tentacles longer and with abundance.


How do you maintain a healthy balance between your professional and private life?

I’m not sure that I do. I work hard and play/party hard. Yoga is essential (I have scoliosis). But I only manage that twice a week!!! We have lots of fab friends and we like to play! We do eat very healthily - our “Englishness” means we may imbibe a bit more frequently than some! (my husband Keith and I are Brits)


What are your top goals that you’d like to accomplish within the next 5 years?

To be able to design more for companies like Crate, but also more edgy stuff…a line of ceramics….
A line of accessories…stay tuned, I am working on some plum personal projects.
Possibly a shoe and bags line.
Making Gracie Finn, which is a stationary line I am launching with my friend Martha Field, super successful.
Hey I will stop there…there is too much to say!


What is your advice for someone who would like to turn his or her creative dreams into reality?

BE realistic, be practical… Work hard, do stuff pro-bono, keep experimenting. Be open. BE flexible in your mind; take on stuff you might not like. It’s a good way to grow…process and keep playing.

Thanks Susy! Your artwork is lovely :)

No comments:

Post a Comment