Wednesday, December 16, 2009

anna wilson patterson : artists who blog



Anna's blog: www.annawilsonpatterson.blogspot.com
Anna's websites: www.annawilsonpatterson.com, www.artshut.com

Why did you decide to start a blog?

Initially I started a blog as an online scrapbook of my life. I have always collected interesting bits and bobs; tickets, labels, doodles, magazine cuttings and stuck them into increasingly weighty books.



How did you come up with the name of your blog?

I chose my own name, so people could find me easily. My Gallery name, ‘Arts Hut’, I chose to reflect our atmosphere; elegantly rustic, creatively cosy.



How has blogging affected your work as an artist/designer?

It encourages me to take photographs of everywhere, everything and everyone. I absolutely love my digital camera. Blogging also reveals how I spend my time. When I look at older posts I can see the different projects achieved. My passing obsessions also come into focus: Tractors, Cattle, Poultry - at the moment it’s Dogs.



What are your favourite artist/designer blogs? Why?

My favourite painters blog is Sandra Flood’s ‘A Painting…Whenever’ It is always fascinating, I learn about colour, composition and subject matter.



Do you have any advice for artists/designers who are starting a blog?

I return to blogs that either inspire me or make me smile. I especially like to nose inside artist studios, galleries or shops, so my advice would be - show behind the scenes.



What has been the most positive and inspirational aspect of having a blog for you?

Everything. It’s free, easy to use, it records all aspects of my life in neat compartments. When people from the other side of the world send me greetings, it is a real surprise and joy.



What do you find the most difficult/most rewarding part of having a creative profession?

Managing an inconsistent income is tough, but the rewards are plenty. I feel I’m in the right place, at the right time in my life, enjoying how I spend my days.



Other than your blog, what have been the most effective ways for you to promote your art and design?

To date, I have responded positively to all invitations to exhibit and teach. I have shown work in a farm kitchen, a barn and exhibited in lots of art festivals. Press releases to local newspapers have brought shoppers in. Plus my website lets galleries view my portfolio and I am starting to sell my cards and prints online.



How do you maintain a healthy work/life balance?

I gave up my stressful town life to move to the country where the pace of life is tranquil and calming. I try to balance my studio world with spending time outdoors. In the summer I relax in our cottage sculpture garden. I also walk our dogs twice a day, so down tools at 5pm sharp, before they poke their pointy noses under my elbows.



What would you like to accomplish by the end of 2009?

I have just designed and published my first set of Christmas Cards, so it would be a great finale to 2009, if people like them and they sell well.



Thank you Anna! Your art, studio, and country life are very inspiring :)

No comments:

Post a Comment