Monday, October 26, 2009

elisabeth dunker : artists who blog



Elisabeth's blog: www.finelittleday.blogspot.com
Elisabeth's websites: www.lula.se, www.studioviolet.blogspot.com
Elisabeth's shops: www.finelittleshop.bigcartel.com, www.studioviolet.se

Why did you decide to start a blog?

I liked the thought of building a mini universe on a webpage. From the beginning I was so thrilled just to see a photo I'd taken appearing on the web by pushing a 'publish button.' I was also intrested in knowing if what I made could be interesting for somebody else.



How did you come up with the name of your blog?

I like the poetry in awkward word order sentences. I had a Swedish sentence that had followed me for a while "lilla mina barn." When I started the blog, I wanted to use that sentence but when translated (I wanted the blog to be in English) it didn't sound so good: "little my kids." "Fine little day" sounded better to my ears.



How has blogging affected your work as an artist/designer?

Very much I think. Before I started blogging, I was a book and magazine addict, and I had subscriptions to at least five magazines going on at the same time continuously. But the amount of pictures I consumed then was nothing compared to what I consumed after I discoverd the big treasure of pictures on the Internet. When I started blogging, I also started to produce a larger amount of pictures/photos myself. I believe that this consuming and making have had a large affect on my 'seeing.' In what way exactly it shows in my work is not easy to say, but I'm sure that it has had a big effect.



What are your favorite artist/designer blogs? Why?

Favorite artist today: Claire Loder
She's incredible, I love her playfulness and aesthetics as a whole. Not only her ceramics but her web identity too.

Favorite blog today: http://miekewillems.blogspot.com
They have such good taste!





Do you have any advice for artists/designers who are starting a blog?

For me the main focus is to have fun. It sounds like a cliché, it is a cliché, but if you have fun it will be good anyhow.



What has been the most positive and inspirational aspect of having a blog for you?

The communication with other people + the confirmation and the feedback. I really appreciate that people take the time to comment.



What do you find the most difficult/most rewarding part of having a creative profession?

The worst part is that you work too much, and if you are a freelancer like me, you never know if you will have enough money for the next month. The best part is that you work doing something that you really love.



Other than your blog, what has been the most effective way for you to promote your art/design?

Oh, I can't think of anything else I've done to promote myself... But I have a website, and that is promoting too of course. I've also, or my work has been in magazines and books, but that is nothing. I've been active in other ways that said "yes" and mailed my files.



How do you maintain a healthy work/life balance?

I don't. I'm often unbalanced. Sleep too little, eat unhealthy in periods, don't work out as much as I should. I can be quite manic and work way too much. My balance is depending on how good my economy is and how much time I have to do nothing, as for anyone else I guess.



What would you like to accomplish by the end of 2009?

Better economy. That sounds boring but it's true. But also, I would like to make something for me, using my own name again. The last time was was quite a while ago. What, I'm not sure of yet.



Thanks Elisabeth for sharing your thoughts with us! (Doesn't she have a lovely studio!)

No comments:

Post a Comment