Friday, September 18, 2009

carolyn gavin : artists who blog



Carolyn's blog: www.designerjots.blogspot.com
Carolyn's website: www.ecojot.com

Why did you decide to start a blog?

I think it's an extension of what I do, and people seem to be interested (I think) in the day to day process, of a designer or Illustrator. The blog is a discipline, a day to day diary of what's happening in my life creatively. I think it has to be kept up and kept current to maintain it's interest. I generally try to update everyday. Sometimes this can be tiresome. It's a back and forth process and it provides another creative medium for my work.



How did you come up with the name of your blog?

Well my company is called Ecojot... so designerjots was a natural followup from that.



How has blogging affected your work as an artist/designer?

I sometimes use the blog as a tool, so if I'm working on a particular design I will extend this into a work for the blog only. And vice versa. It provides another medium for my work to be seen and it definitely keeps me busy. It's a lot of work to keep it fresh and intesting.




What are your favorite artist/designer blogs? Why?

Nate Willliams of n8w & Helen Dardik of Orange You Lucky
I am crazy for both their work and Helen updates everyday also. Always with something interesting.



Do you have any advice for artists/designers who are starting a blog?

Try and focus on your speciality and keep it consistent. Make it very visual and colorful. Try and be original. Engage people and don't be afraid to show your work.



What has been the most positive and inspirational aspect of having a blog for you?

If you're visually exposed with a blog like I am, then more people get to know and understand your work and relate to it. This helps the work sell 'cause more people are starting to recognise it. I also have met some wonderful people through blogging.



What do you find the most difficult/most rewarding part of having a creative profession?

I have to work all the time! I have to create all the time. Sometimes this can be challenging. But then I go on a nice long vacation somewhere and literally just drop everything. I think this is important. My creative self needs a complete break and rest to come back fresh and rejuvenated!



Other than your blog, what has been the most effective way for you to promote your art/design?

Well I have a company with my family called Ecojot. I am principal designer/creative director for Ecojot and year after year, my work is featured. Also I now have Lilla Rogers as my agent and that has enabled my work to find other outlets which has been fantastic! They are the BEST agents to have and really try and promote your work to the max.



How do you maintain a healthy work/life balance?

It's a juggling act for sure. I do yoga which helps, try and eat well, sleep well and travel a bit. In between working a lot.



What are your main goals for 2009?

To stay calm, and continue to get lots of work from LRS and hope that ECOJOT continues to grow.

Thanks Carolyn!!

No comments:

Post a Comment