Friday, July 31, 2009

kate gabrielle : artists who blog



kate's blogs: www.flapperdoodle.blogspot.com, www.silentsandtalkies.blogspot.com

kate's shops: www.flapperdoodle.etsy.com, www.silentsandtalkies.etsy.com

Why did you decide to start a blog?

Earlier this year, I was uploading my classic movie artwork onto flickr, and practically writing entire novels in the little "description" box. My friend Vivienne suggested that maybe it was time for me to start a blog instead! It's been a whole lot easier to just link to the blog post on flickr now.



How did you come up with the name of your blog?

My primary blog is about classic movies and the art that I do to go with the posts... I've had the title "Silents and Talkies" floating around in my mind for years now, I just finally found the right venue to use it. My etsy store has this monicker as well. My other art blog is flapper doodle, which was a simple title I came up with for my little drawings of 1920's flappers... they just look like flapper doodles!



How has blogging affected your work as an artist/designer?

It's definitely made me more prolific. I think that last year, before I started to blog, I completed maybe 10-15 paintings total! This year I've probably already completed 100, not counting my drawings and sketches. I'm always anxious to get posts up, and keep the blog up to date. Since each post has accompanying artwork, that means a lot of drawing and painting!



What are your favorite artist/designer blogs? Why?

I love that all three of my favorite artists have blogs: Vivienne Strauss, Elizabeth Bauman, and Samantha Battersby. I am in awe of their talent, and always inspired by their new artwork.



Do you have any advice for artists/designers who are starting a blog?

I think the best advice is just to keep it updated regularly -- having a blog, and trying to maintain a steady schedule of posts has given me more artistic oomph than anything else I've done since I started painting. I always notice that when I fall behind on the posts, it's usually because I've fallen behind on drawing or painting, too.




What has been the most positive and inspirational aspect of having a blog for you?


Making so many great new friends. It's silly since I haven't actually met a lot of the people who follow my blog, but I really feel like I know them. And through my blog I met my friend Casey who is now co-editing a design blog with me!



What do you find the most difficult/most rewarding part of having a creative profession?

The most difficult part is self motivation! It's easy to just sleep in, watch movies and read blogs all day when I don't have a boss making me get to work! Yet the most rewarding part is actually being my own boss. I set my own hours, get to hang out with my cats all day and I can have classic movies playing in the background while I work.



Other than your blog, what has been the most effective way for you to promote your art/design?

I've started advertising online a little, but other than that I don't think I've mastered the promotion thing yet...



How do you maintain a healthy work/life balance?

This question assumes that I do maintain a healthy work/life balance :) I think for me the two are one and the same, especially since my studio is also my bedroom. The one thing I do religiously, though, is stop work every day at 7pm to make dinner, and then I watch the news while I eat. Since I work from home, it's nice having at least one daily ritual or else all the days of the week kind of mesh into each other, and I totally lose track of time.



What are your main goals for 2009?

To continue loving what I do.



Congratulations to Kate! flapper doodle was chosen as "Etsy's freshest shop of them all" last week! Read the article on Etsy here.

No comments:

Post a Comment