Sunday, May 3, 2009

marisa haedike : artists who blog



Marisa's blog: www.creativethursday.typepad.com
Marisa's website: www.creativethursday.com
Marisa's shop: www.creativethursday.etsy.com

Why did you decide to start a blog?

I started a blog because I heard (this was in 2006) that „every business owner should have a blog“. As a mostly private person, the thought of sharing myself publicly via an online journal was a little intimidating. That is until I discovered the practice of daily painting. When I found artists who were painting and posting original paintings online via their blogs, I thought „perfect“! As a prolific creator, I thought this would be a great way for me to begin to keep a regular blog. I could simply letting my daily creations speak for themselves.



How did you come up with the name of your blog?

Driving over a hill in Boulder, Colorado while talking to a good friend of mine. I told her I needed a name for my business that would be an umbrella for all the creativity I want to explore. That was eight years before I titled my blog of the same name.



How has blogging affected your work as an artist/designer?

When I started, just the commitment to posting a painting almost every day taught me to let go of perfection and trust my creativity, while gaining more confidence in sharing my work publicly. It also helped my work develop into painting style I now have. All my little characters were „born“ through my blog.



What are your favorite artist/designer blogs? Why?

My pat answer to this question is always that I have too many favorites to list. Oh, the talent that exists in the blogging world. Amazing! But I will say that the blogs that stand out to me and inspire me the most, seem to be the ones where the author feels the most genuine, the most comfortable in their „blogging“ skin.



Do you have any advice for artists/designers who are starting a blog?

Be yourself.

What has been the most positive and inspirational aspect of having a blog for you?

The chance to get to know myself better.



What do you find the most difficult/most rewarding part of having a creative profession?

The most difficult part is to continue to trust your creative intuition. And the most rewarding is when you do trust it.



Other than your blog, what has been the most effective way for you to promote your art/design?

Saying hello to people who inspire me, either virtually or in person.



How do you maintain a healthy work/life balance?

That is always the question isn’t it?
It’s a moment by moment choice. Going back to one of my previous answers, when you learn to trust yourself, finding balance becomes much easier.



What are your main goals for 2009?

To keep doing what I’m doing now, and maybe, just maybe continue creating while living overseas for a bit :)

Thanks Marisa!

No comments:

Post a Comment